Wednesday 10 February 2016

The Buddleia is gone!

I haven't started off any seeds yet, it still seems a little chilly to me. Today however, I've been out for an hour or two cutting my Buddleia down to about 12" high. I'm undecided what to do about the stumpy bit that's left. I can't dig it out on my own, and the reason I cut it down was because it was far too close to my Viburnham.
This is a shrub that I bought about 23 years ago, and is in it's 4th reincarnation now, via cuttings from the original plant. Every time I've moved I've had my father root some cutting for me. I've never been successful with it, but he seems to have the magic touch. I'm not planning on moving again, if only because my father is now 89, in poor health and gardening isn't something he feels he can do anymore. So my bush is in need of tender loving care. It is just starting to come into bloom, and produces huge 'snowballs' with a really heavy sweet clove scented perfume.
Viburnham "burkwoodii" if anyone is interested.

Anyway, back to the Buddleia. I think I've decided to buy a pruning saw and take it down as close to the ground as I can, and just keep cutting off any new growth as it appears. I'm afraid if I dig it out completely I'm going to damage the roots of the Viburnham, and it's just not worth the risk, as far as I'm concerned. I could use a pruning saw anyway.
Usually I compost everything in my garden, but I haven't the space to wait for tree branches to rot down so they've been packed up in bags for the council to take this time. I don't know what the wood burns like but the thicker ones they won't take, will go onto the wood burner in the summer.

These two pictures show just how out of control that shrub got last summer.


The before shot..........

......And the after shot!



I am sorry about the quality of the pics, it's an old camera, and I was hoping to have a new one up and running today. Unfortunately, the delivery didn't arrive as promised last evening, so when it did arrive around 2 pm today, the batteries weren't charged. I thought about leaving the bush til tomorrow and showing you then, but knowing my luck we would have had a week of rain. The pictures are what they are..........but from now on hopefully a bit better quality. Unfortunately I can't do a lot about the photographer!

As you can see there's a lot of tidying up to be done in the garden. But it has to be done a very little at a time, due to my health and mobility issues.  I do what I can, and call it a day, it's the only way I can cope. Occasionally I may have to call on some outside help, but I'll see how it goes.

One of the next jobs had better be painting that fence. This is my third summer, and I haven't done it since I moved in. It's looking a bit sad........my "things to do" list is growing!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment